Contributing to Upstream WordPress

While reviewing the Site Reset Local Addon, I found that there were issues in the WPCLI db-command. I feel like I have a general idea of what needs fixing, but navigating the path towards upstream contribution can be overwhelming. So after bringing it up with my manager, I have the green light to take some time during the … Continued

Extracting Single Files From a Zip

I’ve been working with lots of zip files lately – site backups mostly. Often times this is because of some error message referring to a file contained within the archive. When the zip is quite large, having to extract gigabytes of information just to view the contents of one file is annoying. Because of this … Continued

Replacing Newlines in Vim Searches

While trying to get a clearer view of a line of text with 5 million characters in it, I ran into some nuances in Vim’s search and replace. The main issue was that replaceing the search string with a newline character – \n wasn’t visually creating a new line in the Vim buffer. I found … Continued

Using Spacemacs

A few months ago I started to use Spacemacs and org-mode to organize my writing and tasks. Being a Vim user has meant that I haven’t gone all it, but almost.

Process for Building a Find Command

While I was setting up logrotate on a server, I needed to traverse a large user directory to find all of the log files, ideally sorted by their size, excluding the mail directory. This is how I built up the command.